Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Relinquish your death grip

Confucious say "When one door closes, a more delicious one opens." With that in mind, relinquish your death grip on pre-made pasta sauces in favor of something home-made. It's easier than you may think, and exponentially tastier. The main ingredients store indefinitely in your pantry and YOU control the quality of each ingredient.

the damages
cast iron skillet
wooden spatula
slotted spoon
plate with paper towels
sauce pan
large pot
colander

 
the ingredients
1 lb ground Italian sausage
28-oz can tomato sauce
1/2 t garlic powder
1 T olive oil
Sage leaves, torn and bruised
Crushed chili flakes
1 lb noodles
Salt and pepper
 

the preparation
In the cast iron skillet over medium-low heat, brown the Italian sausage with a dash each of salt, pepper, and crushed red chili flakes.

While that's cooking, over medium heat empty the contents of the tomato sauce can into the sauce pan and add garlic powder and sage leaves.

Once cooked through, use the slotted spoon to transfer the sausage to the paper towel-lined plate and then into the tomato sauce. Cover tightly.

Fill the large pot 2/3 with cold tap water and palm-full of salt. Good pasta water is as salty as the ocean. Cover tightly and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and add pasta. Stir occasionally, cooking till al dente (about 8-10 minutes). Drain pasta into the colander in the sink.

Transfer the noodles back into the now-dry pot and add sauce. Combine pasta and sauce.

SERVE your family of four + leftovers IMMEDIATELY with a sprinkle of parmesan

tips and techniques
for chunky sauces, such as those containing meat or diced vegetables, use a heartier pasta like penne regati or fusilli

5 comments:

  1. This looks and sounds delicious and is something that my carnivorous boyfriend would actually eat! Cant wait to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what it is, but I absolutely love making any type of pasta. There's a definite art to getting each thing just right... the noodles, and sauce... even the bread and salad. It seems so simple, but for me it took a little practice to multitask these to perfection.

    Someday I would like to make my own pasta from scratch. Have you done that yet? I wonder how different a dish like this would turn out.

    Anywho... way to represent the skillet... I just got one for Thanksgiving... I think I'm in love with this heavy duty guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Foodie, I have indeed made pasta from scratch (once rolling my tagliatelle by hand!) and love my little pasta machine. It's quite an endeavor, taking up to an hour of actual work plus drying time, plus quite a mess to clean up, so I recommend leaving this for either a late evening or weekend dinner.

    After years of helping customers test their software, I've learned to try one thing at a time. Perfect your sauce, or garlic bread, or home made pasta - but not all three at once.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carissa, to (secretly) incorporate even more veggies in the diet of your carnivorous boyfriend, try adding raw shredded carrots, squash, and bell peppers to the sauce. Cook it through, covered, for about 20 additional minutes and bring the seasoning up to your liking. (Adding bulk may mean adding salt.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not ready to start tricking him just yet. If I can get him to trust me cooking then I'll take advantage of the trust by adding veggies!

    ReplyDelete