Sunday, June 5, 2011

Don't EVEN Grow There

Some herbs you should just go ahead and buy at the grocery store. (GASP! Bhansaidwhat?!?)

Cilantro. Also known as coriander. Loved by many (like me), loathed by some (like my sister; I forgive you, Katie... more cilantro for me...).

Cilantro produces edible leaves only until the plant goes to seed, which occurs when the roots consistently reach 75 degrees. This means by the time you get the cilantro in soil and take one harvest, the individual plant has produced as much as it ever will. And then it starts to look like a weed. An inedible weed. 

image courtesy of the Yard Dirt blog

Buy your cilantro in bunches from a grocery store. Make your investment last for a week or more in the refrigerator following these strategies.

the damages
chef's knife
cutting board
coffee mug

the ingredients
1 bunch of cilantro
tap water

the preparation
Use your knife and cutting board to trim the bottom inch off the bunch of cilantro. Rinse the entire bunch under running water, so it's ready when you are. Set the bunch upright in the coffee mug - like a bouquet of flowers - and fill the coffee mug about halfway with tap water.

Store the mug of rinsed and trimmed cilantro on the lowest shelf in your fridge for up to a week. (This spot in your fridge is probably the warmest and least likely to cause the water to freeze or dry up.) Every other day, trim off 1/4" of stem and change out the water.



Make a five-ingredient salsa
Stir together diced tomatoes, 1/4 of the onion, a few stems of chopped cilantro, a squeeze of lemon or lime, and a dash of salt in your bowl. Gently stir.


Serve with chips and salsa...
or over soft-shelled tacos...
or on top of beans and rice...
or as a free-standing side to grilled shrimp, chicken, beef, or pork...
or atop a spinach-and-tuna salad....

5 comments:

  1. Update: I now feel ambivalent toward cilantro. I may even like it one day, despite its smoky, grass clippingesque flavor. I draw the line, however, at malt balls. Do Not Like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't have to like everything. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this where I post a yummiefood idea? I highly recommend BLTs with basil and avocado. More tasty. More filling. I use all the regulars - bacon, lettuce, tomotoe, mayo and just add basil and avo. I think low sodium bacon tastes just fine so I use that and hearty bread. Oh, and I really like those heirloom tomatoes (Ugli Tomatoes?) - they stay fresher longer and taste 100 times more tomatoey! Happy eats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to know. I, like your sister, am not a huge fan of cilantro. Did you know some people taste dish soap when they eat cilantro?

    Anywho, my feelings toward it are somewhat indifferent. As long as someone doesn't use too much of it, I'm cool with cilantro. It can be easily overpowering to my palette.

    But that's just me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy Helpful! I have been watching my cilantro freak out all summer, thinking, "huh...I don't know what I'm doing wrong." Thanks!

    ReplyDelete